WINDHAM SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT DISTRICT (WSWMD)
FINANCE COMMITTEE MEETING
DRAFT MINUTES OF OCTOBER 10, 2019
COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT: Patrick Moreland, Chair p.t., Brattleboro; James Damato, Readsboro; and Russ Hodgkins, Westminster
COMMITTEE MEMBERS ABSENT: Merrill Mundell, Chair, Wilmington
WSWMD STAFF PRESENT: Bob Spencer, Executive Director, Vicki Hayes, Office Manager/Bookkeeper; Minnie Boadu-Bennett, District Clerk
OTHERS PRESENT: None.
Mr. Moreland called the meeting to order at 6:10 pm.
- Changes and/or Additions to Agenda:
- Approval of Minutes of September 12, 2019:
Mr. Damato moved to approve the draft minutes as presented. Mr. Hodgkins seconded, and the minutes were approved unanimously. (3 votes)
- Review of Check Register- September 2019: Hodgkins asked about check #27277 for website development. This was the final payment for the new website.
Mr. Damato moved to approve the check register for September 2019. Mr. Hodgkins seconded, and the check register was approved for recommendation to the board. (3 votes)
- Review of Financial Report- September 2019: Hayes reviewed the financial report for the committee, noting organics waste disposal expense, $3,000 in repair expense for the skid steer, and sale of the eddy current separator.
Mr. Damato moved to approve the financial report for September 2019. Mr. Hodgkins seconded, and the financial report was approved for recommendation to the board. (3 votes)
- Consider Sky Solar Offer to Sell BOE Lease to WSWMD and Review Appraisal of BOE Property: Spencer updated the committee on the results of the BOE appraisal, which came in at $265,000. There is a possibility that these assets, which are improvements on the land, will return to the district at the end of the lease period. In light of this, the committee did not see an urgent need to purchase the BOE lease. Mr. Damato noted the need to maintain the flare.
- Discussion and Review of FY 21 Budget- Revenue and Salaries and Benefits: Hayes reviewed changes to the draft budget since the last meeting. The presented draft includes the new BCBS rates, Long Falls Paperboard estimate, the new $15 rate for day passes, a conservative $75,000 assumption for sale of RECS, and removal of the BOE rental income. This results in a budgeted revenue of $852,000. The BOE rental income will be added back in because it is not dependent on the generator operation. The committee went on to address salaries and wages. The FY 21 budget will include 4 full-time employees and 5 part-time employees for a total of 6 FTEs. Ms. Hayes will circulate the salary computation detail. The next finance committee meeting will address base expenses and assessments assumptions.
- Executive Session (if needed):
- Next Finance Committee Meeting: The next finance committee Thursday, October 24th, 2019 at 6:30pm.
- Other Business as Legally Allowed:
- Adjournment: This meeting of the finance committee adjourned at 6:50 pm.
Minnie Boadu-Bennett, District Clerk