Materials Accepted at WSWMD Transfer Station
The following table lists many of the items accepted at the WSWMD Transfer Station and their cost.
ITEMS MARKED WITH AN ASTERISK * are banned from landfill disposal – they must be brought to WSWMD and kept separate from household trash:
Cost: $1.00 for every transaction plus the following fees:
|Answering Machines, Fax Machines, Internet Routers*||$5 each|
|Appliances* (without freon)
Appliances* (with freon)
|Batteries — auto lead acid*||$5 each
|Batteries — rechargeable, NiCad, lithium, button cell*
(Note: alkaline manganese and carbon zinc batteries can be brought to WSWMD or put in your household trash)
|Batteries — larger than lantern (e.g. electric fence)*||$3 each|
|Ballasts with PCBs*||$6 each|
|Ballasts without PCBs*||$3 each|
|Bicycles||No charge – first choice is the reuse bike shed near the Swap Shop, second choice is the scrap metal container|
|Charging Cable (ie., cell phones, laptops, tablets, etc.)||Free|
|Christmas trees||Free seasonally – from Dec. 26 – Jan. 31
|Clothing (clean and dry)||No charge–Put into the Salvation Army box|
|Computer*||Free for residents, charities, schools, and businesses (w/ less than 10 employees)|
|Computer (truck loads)*||$0.29/pound for all others who are not listed above|
|Construction and demolition waste||$145 per ton, pro-rated
$15 minimum charge for up to 100 lbs.
|Digital converter boxes (cable, Satellite) *||$5 each|
|DVD players*||$5 each|
|Electronics/Stereo Equipment*||$5 each
|Fax machines*||$5 each|
|Fluorescent lights*||Fluorescent tubes – first 10 are free. More than 10 – 25¢ per every two linear feet
Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFL’s) – Free
|Food waste||Free to compost food scraps|
|Game consoles*||$5 each|
|Latex Paint, Oil Based Paints, Urethanes, Stains, Enamels||Free – 10-can limit per visit. (Latex paint if hardened can be thrown into the trash)
|Low-grade, non-recyclable paper||Free to compost: paper plates, cups, napkins, etc.|
|Mattresses and upholstered furniture||Twin/Full mattress or box spring – $12.50 each piece
Queen/King mattress or box spring – $20 each piece
Upholstered Chair – $15
Upholstered Sofa – $20
Sleeper Sofa – $25
|Mercury containing devices*||No charge|
|Motor oil*||No charge|
|Oil filters (auto and light truck size)*||No Charge|
|Oil filters (heavy equipment size)*||$0.50 each
(No charge to do-it-yourself residents)
|Oil Based Paints, Urethanes, Stains, Enamels*||Free – 10 gallon limit per visit|
|Personal digital assistants*||Free|
|Propane Tanks (up to 1lb.)||$1 each|
|Propane Tanks (1 – 20lb.)||$10 each|
|Refrigerators, dehumidifiers, A/C units*||$15 freon removal fee|
|Scrap metal*||$5/load (Subject to Change)
|Swap items (see Swap Shop page for details)||No charge|
|Televisions*||First seven pieces are free. More than seven pieces – free for residents, charities, schools, and businesses (with less than 10 employees); otherwise $10 each|
|Tires (up to 16-inch)||$3|
|Tires with rim||$6|
|Larger tires||Call for fees|
|Trash||$3.00/bag (32-gallon or smaller) for up to 3 bags.
More than 3 bags – $15.00 minimum charge for up to 100 lbs.
$145.00 per ton (pro-rated) for more than 100 lbs.
|Yard Waste (brush and leaves)||$100 per ton
$10 minimum charge
Download a copy of WSWMD Disposal Fees.
We have a Swap Shop on site where items can be brought for swap – either passed on or picked up to bring home. For more details, check out the Swap Shop link on the Main Menu to your left. There is no charge to drop items off to the Swap Shop. DROP OFF is Saturday only! For more information or to reach a swap volunteer, please email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access stickers are valid for one year beginning July 1st, through June 30th of each year. The sticker lets you access the facility for all of your recycling and solid waste needs. They cost $35.00 each (plus the $1.00 service fee) and can be purchased at the scalehouse when you bring trash/recycling. You may bring your sticker with you when you come to WSWMD. It does not have to be affixed to your vehicle. No prorated stickers will be sold.
We also sell a day pass for $10.00 (plus the $1.00 service fee) – it is good for one day.
Note: The following hazardous waste products are collected daily at the Transfer Station.
- Used motor oil (non-contaminated, fresh from the engine, no gas or water or antifreeze mixed in)
- Latex paint, oil-based paint, shellacs, lacquers, varnishes, enamels, stains, urethanes, aerosols, waterproofing, metal coatings, rust preventatives, and field and lawn paints
- Rechargeable batteries and lead-acid batteries
- Button cell batteries (NiCd, Zinc, etc.), alkaline batteries
- Thermostats & thermometers that contain mercury
- Used medical needles
- Fluorescent light bulbs & ballasts
- Computers, televisions, and cell phones
The WSWMD’s Facility consists of:
- A transfer station that accepts non-recyclable solid waste and construction and demolition (C&D) debris.
- A recycling drop-off center for recyclables, compostable material, yard waste, used motor oil, oil filters, tires, batteries, paint, textiles, white goods (appliances), metal, computers and other electronic waste.
- A free Swap Shop for reusable items – open Saturdays only. The Swap Shop is open on the 2nd Saturday of the month from Nov.- April. Go to the Swap Shop page or Email them with any questions about what you want to bring.
- The large red building houses the WSWMD offices. We sell bulk compost. Click here for more information on bulk compost. We sell 30 lb. bags of compost for $5.00 at the Scalehouse. We also sell Earth Machine backyard compost bins for $50.00 and kitchen compost pails for $10.00. Click here for more information on different types of backyard compost bins that we sell.