Materials Accepted at the WSWMD Transfer Station
The following table lists many of the items accepted at the WSWMD Transfer Station and their cost.
ITEMS MARKED WITH AN ASTERISK * can not be placed in the trash since they are banned from landfill disposal – they must be brought to WSWMD and kept separate from household trash. An annual sticker or a day pass is required to dispose of many items.
Cost: $1.00 for the whole transaction plus the following fees:
|Answering Machines, Fax Machines, Internet Routers*||$5 each|
|Appliances* (without freon)
Appliances* (with freon)
|Batteries — auto lead acid*||$5 each
|Batteries — rechargeable, NiCad, lithium, button cell*
(Note: alkaline manganese and carbon zinc batteries can be brought to WSWMD or put in your household trash)
|Batteries — larger than lantern (e.g. electric fence)*||$3 each|
|Ballasts with PCBs*||$6 each|
|Ballasts without PCBs*||$3 each|
|Bicycles||No charge – first choice is the reuse bike shed near the Swap Shop, second choice is the scrap metal container|
|Charging Cable (ie., cell phones, laptops, tablets, etc.)||Free|
|Christmas trees||Free seasonally – from Dec. 26 – Jan. 31
|Clothing (clean and dry), belts, shoes||No charge – place into the Salvation Army box|
|Computers*||Free for residents, charities, schools, and businesses (w/ less than 10 employees)|
|Computers (truck loads)*||$0.29/pound for all others who are not listed above|
|Construction and demolition waste||$145 per ton, pro-rated
$15 minimum charge for up to 100 lbs.
|Digital converter boxes (cable, Satellite) *||$5 each|
|DVD players*||$5 each|
|Electronics/Stereo Equipment*||$5 each
|Fax machines*||$5 each|
|Fluorescent lights*||Fluorescent tubes – first 10 are free. More than 10 tubes – 13¢ per linear foot
Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFL’s) – Free
|Food waste||Free to compost food scraps – sticker or day pass required|
|Game consoles*||$5 each|
|Latex Paint, Oil Based Paints, Urethanes, Stains, Enamels||Free – 10-can limit per visit. – no sticker or day pass required. (Latex paint if hardened goes in the trash) Click on Paint Program for more information
|Low-grade, non-recyclable paper||Free to compost: paper plates, cups, napkins, etc.|
|Mattresses and upholstered furniture||Twin/Full mattress or box spring – $12.50 each piece
Queen/King mattress or box spring – $20 each piece
Upholstered Chair – $15
Upholstered Sofa – $20
Sleeper Sofa – $25
|Mercury containing devices*||No charge|
|Motor oil* (no contamination)||No charge|
|Oil filters (auto and light truck size)*||No Charge|
|Oil filters (heavy equipment size)*||$0.50 each
(No charge to do-it-yourself residents)
|Oil Based Paints, Urethanes, Stains, Enamels*||Free – 10 gallon limit per visit – no sticker or day pass required|
|Personal digital assistants*||Free|
|Propane Tanks (up to 1lb.)||$1 each|
|Propane Tanks (1 – 20lb.)||$10 each|
|Refrigerators, dehumidifiers, A/C units*||$15 freon removal fee|
|Scrap metal*||$5/load (Subject to Change)
|Swap items (see Swap Shop page for details)||No charge|
|Televisions*||First seven pieces are free. More than seven pieces – free for residents, charities, schools, and businesses (with less than 10 employees); otherwise $10 each – no sticker or day pass required|
|Tires (up to 16-inch)||$3|
|Tires with rim||$6|
|Larger tires||Contact us for fees|
|Trash||Annual Sticker or day pass required:
$3.00/bag (32-gallon or smaller) for up to 3 bags.
More than 3 bags – $15.00 minimum charge for up to 100 lbs.
$145.00 per ton (pro-rated) for more than 100 lbs.
|Yard Waste (brush and leaves)||$100 per ton
$10 minimum charge
Download a copy of the WSWMD Price List/Disposal Fees 2019.
Click here for more information on our on-site Swap Shop. You can also email the Swap Shop for more information: email@example.com.
Click here for more information on Annual Stickers and Day Passes: Annual Stickers and Day Passes:
Note: The following hazardous waste products are collected daily at the Transfer Station. Some items involve paying a fee and others are free.
- Used motor oil (non-contaminated, fresh from the engine, no gas or water or antifreeze mixed in)
- Latex paint, oil-based paint, shellacs, lacquers, varnishes, enamels, stains, urethanes, aerosols, waterproofing, metal coatings, rust preventatives, and field and lawn paints – up to 10 cans at a time
- Rechargeable batteries and lead-acid batteries
- Button cell batteries (NiCd, Zinc, etc.), alkaline batteries
- Thermostats & thermometers that contain mercury
- Used medical needles
- Fluorescent light bulbs & ballasts
- Computers, televisions, and cell phones
WSWMD’s Facility consists of:
- A transfer station/scalehouse that accepts non-recyclable solid waste and construction and demolition (C&D) debris.
- A recycling drop-off center for recyclables, compostable material, yard waste, used motor oil, oil filters, tires, batteries, paint, textiles, white goods (appliances), metal, computers and other electronic waste.
- A free Swap Shop for reusable items – open Saturdays during the Spring, Summer, and Fall and then only open on the 2nd Saturday of the month from Nov.- April. For more information, click on the Swap Shop page. You may Email them with any questions about what you want to bring.
- The large red building houses the main WSWMD office. We sell our own Brattlegrow bulk compost products through the main office. Click here for more information on Brattlegrow compost. We sell Earth Machine backyard compost bins for $50.00 and kitchen counter top compost pails for $10.00. Click here for information on the various types of backyard compost bins that are available.
- We sell 30 lb. bags of Brattlegrow compost for $5.00 at the Scalehouse.