Materials Accepted at the WSWMD Transfer Station
The following table lists many of the items accepted at the WSWMD Transfer Station and their cost.
ITEMS MARKED WITH AN ASTERISK * can not be placed in the trash since they are banned from landfill disposal – they must be brought to WSWMD and kept separate from household trash. An annual sticker or a day pass is required to dispose of many items.
Cost: $1.00 for the whole transaction plus the following fees: (Prices are subject to change without notice.)
|Answering Machines, Fax Machines, Internet Routers*||$5 each|
|Appliances* (without freon)
Appliances* (with freon)
|Batteries — auto lead acid*||$5 each
|Batteries — rechargeable, NiCad, lithium, button cell*
(Note: alkaline manganese and carbon zinc batteries can be brought to WSWMD or put in your household trash)
|Batteries — larger than lantern (e.g. electric fence)*||$3 each|
|Ballasts with PCBs*||$6 each|
|Ballasts without PCBs*||$3 each|
|Bicycles||No charge – first choice is the reuse bike shed near the Swap Shop, second choice is the scrap metal container (if unusable)|
|Cellphones, PDA’s, chargers, Cellphone batteries||Free|
|Christmas trees||$5.00 with absolutely no decorations or $10.00 with any decorations
|Clothing (clean and dry), belts, shoes||No charge – place into the Salvation Army box|
|Computers*||Free for residents, charities, schools and businesses (w/ less than 10 employees) LIMIT 7 PER DAY|
|Computers (truck loads)*||$0.29/pound for all others who are not listed above|
|Construction and demolition waste||$145 per ton, pro-rated
$15 minimum charge for up to 100 lbs.
|Digital converter boxes (cable, Satellite) *||$5 each|
|DVD players*||$5 each|
|Electronics/Stereo Equipment*||$5 each
|Fax machines*||$5 each|
|Fluorescent lights*||Fluorescent tubes – first 10 are free. More than 10 tubes – 13¢ per linear foot
Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFL’s) – Free
|Food waste||Free to compost food scraps – sticker or day pass required|
|Game consoles*||$5 each|
|Latex Paint, Oil Based Paints, Urethanes, Stains, Enamels||Free – 10-can limit per visit. – no sticker or day pass required. (Latex paint if hardened goes in the trash) Click on Paint Program for more information
|Low-grade, non-recyclable paper||Free to compost: paper plates, cups, napkins, etc.|
|Mattresses and upholstered furniture||Twin/Full mattress or box spring – $12.50 each piece
Queen/King mattress or box spring – $20 each piece
Upholstered Chair – $15
Upholstered Sofa – $20
Sleeper Sofa – $25
|Mercury containing devices*||No charge|
|Motor oil* (no contamination)||No charge|
|Oil filters (motorcyle, car & truck)*||No Charge|
|Oil filters (heavy equipment)*||$0.50 each|
|Oil Based Paints, Urethanes, Stains, Enamels*||Free – 10 gallon limit per visit – no sticker or day pass required. Click on Paint Program for more information|
|Personal digital assistants*||Free|
|Propane Tanks (up to 1lb.)||$1 each|
|Propane Tanks (1 – 20lb.)||$10 each|
|Refrigerators, dehumidifiers, A/C units*||$15 fee (for freon removal)|
|Scrap metal*||$5 per load
|Swap items (see Swap Shop page for details)||No charge|
|Telephones & Answering Machines||$5 each|
|Televisions*||First 7 pieces are free– free for residents, charities, schools and businesses (with less than 10 employees); otherwise $10 each – no sticker or day pass required|
|Tires, Car & Truck (up to 16-inch)||$3|
|Tires with rim (Car/Truck)||$6|
|Larger tires (Heavy equipment)||Contact us for fees|
|Trash||Annual Sticker or day pass required:
$3.00/bag (32-gallon or smaller) for up to 3 bags.
More than 3 bags – $15.00 minimum charge for up to 100 lbs.
$145.00 per ton (pro-rated) for more than 100 lbs.
|Yard Waste (brush and leaves) – there is no charge for “CLEAN” leaves – the leaves must be separated and without any branches or other yard waste. Fees apply for any combination of leaves, branches, and other yard waste.||$100 per ton
$10 minimum charge
Download a copy of the WSWMD Price List/Disposal Fees 2019.
Click here for more information on our on-site Swap Shop . You can also email the Swap Shop for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for more information on Annual Stickers and Day Passes: Annual Stickers and Day Passes:
Note: The following hazardous waste products are collected daily at the Transfer Station. Some items involve paying a fee and others are free.
- Used motor oil (non-contaminated, fresh from the engine, no gas or water or antifreeze mixed in)
- Latex paint, oil-based paint, shellacs, lacquers, varnishes, enamels, stains, urethanes, aerosols, waterproofing, metal coatings, rust preventatives and field and lawn paints – up to 10 cans at a time
- Rechargeable batteries and lead-acid batteries
- Button cell batteries (NiCd, Zinc, etc.), alkaline batteries
- Thermostats & thermometers that contain mercury
- Used medical needles (Sharps)
- Fluorescent light bulbs & ballasts
- Computers, televisions, and cell phones
WSWMD’s Facility consists of:
- A transfer station/scalehouse that accepts non-recyclable solid waste and construction and demolition (C&D) debris.
- A recycling drop-off center for recyclables, compostable material, yard waste, used motor oil, oil filters, tires, batteries, paint, textiles, white goods (appliances), metal, computers and other electronic waste.
- A free Swap Shop for reusable items – open Saturdays during April to November. Winter hours from December to April are 8am-12pm, on the 2nd Saturday of the month.
- The large red building houses the main WSWMD office. We sell our own Brattlegrow bulk compost products through the main office. We sell Earth Machine backyard compost bins for $50.00 and kitchen counter top compost pails for $10.00.
- We also sell 30 lb. bags of Brattlegrow compost for $5.00 at the Scalehouse.