Windham Solid Waste Management District (WSWMD)
Finance Committee Meeting
Approved Minutes of October 8, 2020
Committee Members Present: Patrick Moreland, Brattleboro; Russell Hodgkins, Westminster; Merrill Mundell, Wilmington (Committee Chair); Michelle Cherrier, Dummerston.
Committee Members Absent: James Damato, Readsboro.
WSWMD Staff Present: Robert Spencer, Executive Director; Vicki Hayes, Office Manager/Bookkeeper District Clerk.
Others Present: None.
Mr. Mundell called the meeting to order at 5:33 P.M.
- Changes and/or Additions to the Agenda:
- Approval of Minutes from September 10, 2020 and September 24, 2020: A motion was made to accept the minutes as revised by Russ and seconded by Michelle. Motion carried.
- Approval of Check Register – September 2020: Various line items were discussed, and questions answered by Bob and Vicki. Patrick made a motion to recommend approval of the check register to the Board of Supervisors, Michelle seconded, and the motion was carried.
- Approval of Financial Statement – September 2020: Various line items were discussed. Bob mentioned the new compost deal with Renaud Brothers, and that Vt Mulch may be looking for more for their soil mix. Vicki talked about the RECs (Renewable Energy Credits) received from Greenbacker this month and that we should have another $50,000.00 by year end. There was discussion on line name changes to distinguish the difference between the new Capital Plan and other capital spends. It was determined that going forward, perhaps for the FY23 budget, additional capital improvement funds should be explored for property and buildings. It was also determined that the District should look at insurance coverage and what it may have to cover if a problem should occur.
Michelle made a motion to recommend approval of the financial statement to the Board of Supervisors, Russ seconded, and the motion was carried.
- Rich Earth Institute Lease: Bob reviewed the discussion from the last meeting, several points in the lease were discussed. It was decided that there needed to be explicit language regarding ownership of the land under the electrical equipment, as well as a legal agreement with Sky for the equipment removal portion (Bob is to contact Frank Ruffalo), an annual CPI clause on the lease should be included. In order to not delay the process for Rich Earth Institute it was suggested that the Board of Supervisors be asked to authorize the Executive Board to approve the amended lease after legal review.
- Salary and Wage Study: Bob briefly reviewed the results of the study. It was explained that two employees were under the minimum from the study. One has been rectified, and the other should be adjusted ASAP. The committee asked to see the impact on the salary numbers in the next budget review. Vicki agreed to send out the salary spreadsheet. Patrick asked to have MRI meet with the District to understand how to operationally implement the program in the future.
- Discuss FY22 Budget Expenses: Due to the lack of time it was decided to hold a meeting just for the budget review and Rich Earth Lease.
- Executive Session:
- Next Meeting: The next meeting will be held on October 22, 2020 at 5:30 P.M. at the office.
- Other Business: None
The meeting was adjourned at 6:59 P.M.
Minutes submitted by