Board of Supervisors
Each town in the District appoints one representative to the Board, as well as an alternate representative. Board members have a number of related responsibilities:
• To attend and participate in Board meetings. The WSWMD Board of Supervisors meets the second Thursday of the month at 7:00 pm. The meetings are held at the WSWMD Conference Room, 327 Old Ferry Road in Brattleboro. (Meeting agendas are sent to town representatives and alternates usually at least one week in advance of the scheduled meeting.)
• As a representative to the board of a municipality serving 18 member towns, to serve the District as a whole, overseeing all aspects of its operation.
• To communicate what is happening at the District level to his or her town officials (generally, this would be the town manager and/or the select board) as necessary.
• To support recycling, solid waste, and household hazardous waste (HHW) education and collection programs sponsored by the District in his or her community, and in so doing support the work of the program coordinator.
• Finally, a representative to the Board of Supervisors is encouraged to participate in one of 2 committees that report to the Board: the Finance Committee and the Personnel/Policy Committee.
Representatives to the Board of Supervisors hold office for one year. Appointments and re-appointments are made by town select boards on or before the last Monday in March of each year. Both the primary representative and the alternate may be reappointed to successive terms without limit. An alternate representative may serve in the primary representative’s place when that person is unable to attend a meeting, and has all the rights and privileges of a primary representative in the other’s absence.
Each Board member is allowed to cast one vote “for every 3,000 populations, or part thereof, in the municipality which he or she represents.”
The following is a list of towns and their represenatives:
|Brattleboro:||Patrick Moreland; alternate: Peter Elwell
|Dover:||Daniel Baliotti; alternate: Kevin Stine
|Guilford:||Michael Becker, alternate: Cheryl Franklin
|Halifax:||Lewis Sumner, alternate: Cara Cheyette
|Marlboro:||Stillman “Stretch” Vonderhorst|
|Newfane:||Doris Knechtel, alternate: Mike Fitzpatrick
|Somerset:||Ricky Harrington, Non-voting member
|Vernon:||Chris Parker; alternate: Michelle Pong