Board of Supervisors
Each town in the District appoints one representative to the Board, as well as an alternate representative.
Board members have a number of related responsibilities:
- To attend and participate in Board meetings. The WSWMD Board of Supervisors meets the second Thursday of the month at 7:00 pm. The meetings are held at the WSWMD Conference Room, 327 Old Ferry Road in Brattleboro, (since 4/20-most meetings are through Zoom and meeting notices are advertised in the Deerfield Valley News, The Commons Newspaper, here on our website).
- As a representative to the board of a municipality serving 18 member towns, to serve the District as a whole, overseeing all aspects of its operation.
- To communicate what is happening at the District level to their appropriate town officials as necessary.
- To support recycling, solid waste, and household hazardous waste (HHW) education and collection programs sponsored by the District in their community
- A representative to the Board of Supervisors is encouraged to participate in one of 2 committees that report to the Board: the Finance Committee and the Personnel/Policy Committee.
- Representatives to the Board of Supervisors hold office for one year.
- Appointments and re-appointments are made by town select boards on or before the last Monday in March of each year.
- Both the primary representative and the alternate may be reappointed to successive terms without limit.
- An alternate representative may serve in the primary representative’s place when that person is unable to attend a meeting, and has all the rights and privileges of a primary representative in the other’s absence.
- Each Board member is allowed to cast one vote “for every 3,000 population, or part thereof, in the municipality which he or she represents.”
The following is a list of towns and their representatives:
|Brattleboro:||Patrick Moreland; alternate: Peter Elwell|
|Dover:||Daniel Baliotti; alternate: Kevin Stine|
|Halifax:||Lewis Sumner; alternate: Cara Cheyette|
|Jamaica:||Greg Meulemans; alternate: Jessica Pollack|
|Marlboro:||Stillman “Stretch” Vonderhorst|
|Newfane:||Doris Knechtel; alternate: Mike Fitzpatrick|
|Somerset:||Ricky Harrington, Non-voting member|
|Westminster:||Russ Hodgkins; alternate: Sheldon Beebe|