Backyard Composting Demonstration Site
Saturday, May 15, 1:30-3:30
The event will take place at the District’s Transfer Station at 327 Old Ferry Rd, Brattleboro.
- The Transfer Station will be closed at the time of the event. Please park in front of the District office (the large maroon-colored building).
- The Demo Site is a short walk from the parking lot and is accessible. Please call the District (802.257.0272) the week before if you think you may need assistance.
- Please bring and wear a mask on District property. Social distancing (6-feet distance from others, except within your pod) will be enforced, in accordance with Vermont’s Universal Guidance.
- Mini-workshops will be offered at 2:00, 2:30, and 3:00. Two, “compost expert” District staff will be on hand the entire time to answer questions, provide general composting information, etc. There will be handouts on the bins and “how to compost.”
- Please bring cash or check if you intend to purchase an Earth Machine bin ($55).
- Remember to enter the raffle for a free Earth Machine! You do not need to be present to win, the winner will be drawn at the conclusion of the event. Please return at a later date to the scale house to pick up your compost bin.
RAIN DATE: In the event of heavy, downpour rain, the event will likely be moved to the following Saturday (May 22). Please check the District website or Facebook for an update.
Having trouble getting the stuff in your compost bin to actually look like compost? Need tips on composting food scraps to avoid creating odors and attracting wildlife? Join us for mIni-compost workshops, “Ask a Compost Expert,” kitchen caddies and other giveaways, compost bin sales, and a raffle for an Earth Machine Compost Bin. Learn about how to safely compost food scraps, what to do if your compost is not heating up, how to keep wildlife away, the pros and cons of different compost bins, how to tell when your compost is “done,” and more! Our event is kid friendly, Covid safe, and free!