WINDHAM SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT DISTRICT (WSWMD)
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS MEETING
DRAFT MINUTES OF June 11, 2020
Members Present: Patrick Moreland, Brattleboro; Michelle Cherrier, Dummerston (Chair); Greg Meulemans, Jamaica; Doris Knechtel, Newfane; Dan Toomey, Putney; Russell Hodgkins, Westminster; Merrill Mundell, Wilmington; Michael Becker, Guilford; Sandra Rulewich, Vernon; Nancy Meinhard, Wardsboro.
Note: Stillman Vanderhorst attempted to sign in but could not connect.
Members Absent: David Jones, Brookline; Lewis Sumner, Haliax; Stillman Vanderhorst, Marlboro; James Damato, Readsboro; Ricky Harrington, Somerset; Kent Young, Stratton;. Kevin Stine, Dover; Irvin Stowell, Townshend.
WSWMD Staff Present: Athena Lee Bradley, Programs Manager; Vicki Hayes, Office Manager; Bob Spencer, Executive Director.
Others Present: None
CALL TO ORDER
Chair Michelle Cherrier called the meeting to order at 7:02 P.M.
Ms. Cherrier welcomed attendees and announced the procedures for this meeting, which was held via teleconferencing and online conferencing. A roll call of members present was taken and a quorum was present.
- CHANGES AND ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA: None
- Approval of Minutes of May 14, 2020:
Doris made the motion to accept the minutes of May 14, 2020 as presented, Dan seconded.
Nancy and Michael abstained from the vote, the motion carried.
- Approval of Check Register- May 2020: Merrill said Finance Committee reviewed it and approved it. Bob commented that Patrick questioned the seemingly high electric bills, and further analysis will be made.
Merrill made the motion to accept the Check Register of May 2020, Dan seconded. Motion carried.
- Approval of Financial Statement- April 2020:
Merrill made a motion to accept the Financial Statement of May 2020, Doris seconded.
There was minimal discussion regarding the results as this had been reviewed at the Finance Committee meeting.
- Review of Draft 5-Year Solid Waste Implementation Plan (SWIP):
Athena highlighted the changes to the Plan: updates on the A-Z Guide on the website; and outreach and technical assistance. There are no major changes to this piece of the SWIP. Athena also mentioned where we are on the permanent HHW site and that it is doubtful we will need collection events. She also talked about the challenges of the asphalt shingles and drywall recycling mandates with no local recycling facilities. Merrill asked about outreach to schools and what is expected going forward. The first public hearing on the SWIP is scheduled via Zoom on June 29th at 1P.M.
- Update on Rich Earth Institute Lease: Bob updated the Board on the status of the revised lease. There is nothing to consider currently, the lease is with legal council and he doesn’t expect to see a draft until September 2020.
- Update on PILOT with Brattleboro: The renewal for two years at the current rate has been signed.
- Update on Compost Permit Status: Bob spoke with the state regarding the need to increase to a medium size food waste composting facility. The District is not in a position to fund the significant cost for improvements at this time and it could require us to ‘turn away’ some of our customers. However, in discussions with the state this week Bob was informed that WSWMD could apply for a variance to operate as a medium facility with the improvements to be made over 5 years. Bob will prepare an application for a variance. The July 1st directive on food scrap disposal is still viable.
- Executive Session: None
- Next Meeting: August 13, 2020 at 7:00 P.M.
- Other Business as Legally Allowed: Bob reported that the Finance Committee is working on a Capital Plan in anticipation of the Budget process. Vicki mentioned that the Audit for FY 20 is scheduled for early August.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:45 P.M.
Minutes Submitted by